Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

My son lives in idaho. He has a court ordered restitution

Customer Question

My son lives in idaho. He has a court ordered restitution which he pays gainfully each month. He has a chance to buy a mobile home to live in with his 2 boys. His dad is paying for it. Can it be taken from him for payment on the restitution.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 2 months ago.

If your son is paying the restitution order regularly and is not behind in payments, it is very unlikely that the court ordered payee would attempt to go after any other assets of your son. Could they do so technically? Probably. But if his dad is paying for it, and title to the mobile home is placed in the name of the dad, they would not be able to take it from him. If the mobile home is placed in the name of your son, the court ordered payee might be able to place a lien on the mobile home, but they would only attempt to do so if your son fails to make regular payments as he is apparently doing.