Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Texas - My twin sister gave birth to a son, his father is

Customer Question

Texas - My twin sister gave birth to a son, his father is unknown. Two weeks after his birth she left him with my mother and went to Georgia with no plans to return. My mother and I became financially responsible for him the moment she left. The two of us raised him until he was 4 years old. I began a relationship with my current same sex partner and we moved in together. My mother was and currently is not financially able to care for my nephew. Therefore, my nephew came to live with the two of us. My partner and I have had complete financial responsibility over him for 5 years. Every year we have to call upon my sister to sign a power of attorney to enroll him into school. My sister has had no financial responsibilies from the day of his birth and does not care to do so. We have always allowed her to have an open door relationship with him. My partner and I are about to marry and would like to adopt him. Will she have the right to keep us from doing? We are certain she is comfortable with the way things have been. We understand that we will have to hire an attorney. We just would like to know what we are to expect going into this procedure.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post.

I am preparing my response to your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

My partner and I are about to marry and would like to adopt him. Will she have the right to keep us from doing? We are certain she is comfortable with the way things have been.

Response: She can object to the adoption. However, based on the information that you have provided here, you can file papers to waive her consent to the adoption since she abandoned the child a long time ago and has not shown any interest to be reunited with the child. So, her objection would be more than likely to be overruled by the Court and the adoption would be allowed to proceed. For general information on Texas adoption, click here.

Best wishes,

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.