FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

My son lives with me full time and has so for the last 3

Customer Question

My son lives with me full time and has so for the last 3 years, is going into his senior year in high school and turned 18 this year, He will also be going to collage after he graduates high school we live in Iowa and his mother lives in Nebraska is she obligated to be paying child support even if he is 18
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good evening. Is she paying support now? Has she paid it for the past 3 years?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No she isn't paying court order support I ask her for a 100 a month and get it very seldem
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there

Yes, please allow me a moment

In Iowa, child support continues until age 18 or if the child is still in high school continues to 19. As such, you could petition the court and ask that she pay support for the last year of high school, for your son, since she would have a legal obligation to pay it, since you care for the child. Ideally, you could work this out with her informally but if she refuses, you need to get it court ordered.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is she obligated to continue to pay when he goes to college
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I get back support from her

No, once he graduates, the support obligation would end. As far as retroactive support, it is unlikely the Judge is going to order it, from the past 3 years if you never made any attempt to get it from her.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!