Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If I have a court order from a judge for a school to let me

Customer Question

If I have a court order from a judge for a school to let me back in after an academic dismissal (even though I was in court and the reason I could not keep up academically) do they still have to let me attend if served with a court order?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Was the school a party to the lawsuit?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, my parents were getting a divorce and I had to be in court to testify against my father.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Ok. Thanks.

If the school was not a party to the lawsuit, then the court order should not be effective against it because the court had no jurisdiction over the school.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

In order for the school to be obligated under the court order, the school would have to be a party to case.......

Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

You may have to file suit against the school and ask the court to order that you be allowed back in and seek a court order against the school compelling it to reinstate you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But what if the school was apart of the process, because they had to figure out who was paying for what and they had tried to dismiss me after 1st semester, and the judge sent out the court order that they did follow so I am guessing the court does have jurisdiction over the school.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

The school would not be subject to the court's order unless the school was a party to the action. IF the school complied with a pervious order, etc., it would be voluntary. So, there'd be no way to require the school to comply with an order that was entered in a case that the school wasn't a party.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What if I have a letter saying to excuse any grades that was processed while I was in court?
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

It still doesn't matter unless the school is a party to the case. The court doesn't have jurisdiction over the school to order it to do anything unless/until it is a party to the case.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Hi - I was checking in to see if you need anything further. If so, just let me know. If not, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may close this matter out. Thanks!