NYFamilyLawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, licensed for 36 years as a trial and appellate attorney

Im looking into getting some information on adoption of a

Customer Question

Hi, Im looking into getting some information on adoption of a child by a stepparent.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, Ive spoke to one secretary, but basically she just told me it would cost $3000-$7000 for her service and thats not something we can afford.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My husband has been raising my daughter for the past four years, The biological father has not ever been in her life, has not paid a penny in child support not supported her in any way.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  NYFamilyLawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I’m a family lawyer and appellate attorney with 36 years’ experience and also have extensive experience with landlord-tenant issues. I look forward to helping you today.

At the end of our discussion I’m going to ask you to rate me, okay? I’d appreciate it because this is the only way we get credit for our time here today. It is at no extra cost to you.

Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. You are advised to retain your own attorney.

How can I help you with your adoption question? You know that an absent biological father either has to sign an agreement for an adoption or it can happen as follows:

There is one biological parent who is active in the child’s life because the other biological parent is absent by choice. In this event, a step parent adoption in TX can happen.

I can find other attorneys for you in your area and you can check to see how much it would cost. I'm sure the price varies. An adoption requires a lot of paperwork so not all family lawyers do it. Funny, I just wrote an article about step parent adoption in TX.

If you would like I can find attorneys in your area, family lawyers. You would have to ask if they do adoptions because not all family lawyers do adoptions, but I can send you a list of lawyers if I know the nearest big city -- the bigger the better -- and then I'll show you how to choose attorneys. We cannot recommend anyone specific, but I have an easy guide which will show you what to look for when you choose an attorney. Would you like this information? I do this free of charge for my customers here.

From your information, you would qualify to have a step parent adoption in TX under the laws of TX. It's only permissible under certain circumstances, and it would be permissible for your husband to adopt your daughter under the circumstances you indicate. I'm happy to help you find an attorney in your area if you'd like.

Do you have any other questions or does this answer your question? I'm more than happy to help you. Just note that your situation, from what you're stating here, does qualify for step parent adoption under the laws in TX because there is an absent parent. The price will vary from attorney to attorney but I would suggest shopping around, and I can help you with that if you'd like.

Does this answer your question?

I know a lot about step parent adoptions in TX as I just wrote an article about it, so feel free to ask me any follow-up questions at no extra cost to you.

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question. Id' rather be rated positively and if I didn't answer all of your questions, I'd like to have a chance to make sure that I do. Thanks in advance for rating me. If you need more information, let me know as I’m happy to give it.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you!

You are also welcome to come back to this room free of charge to ask me a follow-up to this question at any time. Be well and thank you for letting me help you tonight.