How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 18834
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was issued to pay temporary spousal support. I'm from

Customer Question

I was issued to pay temporary spousal support.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm from California and we have been married 19 years. more then 5 years we've been seperated
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: She hasn't gotten any spousal support from me until now. yes she thought I would be fine
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: I filed the wrong paperwork asking the judge to not issue support so we could get this divorce over with. She has been stalling
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes she stated when we first went to court she was working. And then when we went back she got "fired". and right after the hearing she started collecting unemployment which she failed to state in court. She was stating she didn't have any money
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Should I seek legal council now since we are almost finished. I want to know how I can make sure she doesn't come after me for more money. I would like to terminated spousal support once she starts working especially since we've been separated for so long and I haven't paid any spousal support before.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the information.

You should to make sure that your rights are protected. However, there is no way to guarantee that she would not attempt to come after you for more spousal support. However, that does not mean that the Court would grant the request. In order for her to ask for modification of spousal support to get more money she must show the Court that there has been material change in her circumstances since the Order was issued. If she cannot prove that, she would not get the additional support.

On your side, you can ask for modification of the support if you have evidence that her income has increased. If the Court agrees with you, the Court can terminate the spousal support or reduce it.

Finally, the spousal support Order should set an end date for the support. So, you should make sure to look for this end date and if it is not there, you need to make sure that the Court includes it. The Court determines the end date. For more information on spousal support, click here.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.