Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My father has a qdro on his 401k.although he is still

Customer Question

My father has a qdro on his 401k.although he is still married and not getting a divorce.he was charged with theft from his do we find out who filed the qdro and what do we have to do to get his 401k
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A QDRO has to be approved by the Court. So if you simply look into the court's records, you should see a copy of the QDRO, who filed it, when it was approved, etc. If you tell me what county the divorce was in, I can possibly tell you how to find this information.

The 401k is subject to the QDRO. He should still have whatever the QDRO does not take from the 401k, unless it was somehow attached for civil judgment or criminal restitution.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.