CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I'm trying to find out about the process for my husband to

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out about the process for my husband to adopt my 21 year old daughter
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My sister. But she leaves in Texas and she hasn't been able to find a petition that covers my situation
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

It is possible to file for an adult adoption in Georgia, the process is the same as if you were filing for the adoption of a minor, with the exception that the adult being adopted must file a written consent to the adoption.

Assuming that everyone (both the adopting parents and the adult being adopted) agree to the adoption, this is a relatively simple process, I do recommend utilizing an attorney for this not because the procedure is difficult, but because there are many things that must be handled appropriately following the procedure (such as changing the adult adoptee's legal status, whether or not the adult's name is ***** ***** be changed, etc.). Again, none of this is terribly time consuming for a family law attorney to handle, but the consequences of doing it improperly can be very costly (so for a relatively nominal attorney's fee you can have a lawyer do this for you in GA and the process will take between 2-6 months depending on the backlog in your local court).

I understand the adult being adopted currently lives in TX, but the adoption can still occur in GA.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).