Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I have a problem, I have a contract on my house and I'm

Customer Question

I have a problem, I have a contract on my house and I'm supposed to close on 8/29. On my divorce decree it is ordered and decreed that the husband (me) is awarded the following as his sole and separate property, and the wife is divested of all right, title, interest, and claim in and to that property. The final decree for my divorce has a typographical error on the Lot number of the legal description of the house. The title company required that my ex wife sign a warranty deed because of the typo error. She refuses to sign it. What are my options? I really need to close on this sale on 8/29.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney whowill try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If she refuses to sign the deed, then your only recourse is to file a motion for contempt of court and force her to appear in front of the judge so he can order her to sign or be held in contempt of court and thrown in jail.

.

So you need to get an attorney on this quickly so you can get the motion filed and heard..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How long will that take as I need this to be done before the 29th or I can't close on my house. Are there speedier options? She will not sign it on her own free will.

It depends on how soon you get an attorney to file the motion... I would opine a good local attorney could get it heard in a week..

.

And no, there is no other legal option if she is refusing to sign just to be difficult.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what type of attorney? I'm in Ft. Worth can you recommend anyone?

You just need a family law attorney or a divorce law attorney.

.

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to represent customers from the site or recommend anyone personally under my agreement with JustAnswer. However, these are a couple sites that we attorneys actually use if we need foreign counsel in a state where we aren't licensed. Further, customers have consistently reported good results with these sites:

.

www.martindale.com

.

www.lawyers.com

.

They screen their attorneys based on geographic location, area of practice, time in practice, cost and customer reviews.

.

.

thanks