JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

I HAVE A LITTLE THAT IS MY NEICES DAUGHTER SHE IS 12. SHE

Customer Question

I HAVE A LITTLE THAT IS MY NEICES DAUGHTER SHE IS 12. SHE HAS LIVED WITH US SINCE SHE WAS A SMALL CHILD. WE HAVE NOTHING THRU THE COURTS. NOW HER MOTHER HAS CAME AND GOT HER SHE HAS NO JOB AND SEVERAL OTHER KIDS. THE LITTLE GIRL IS CRYING AND DOES NOT WANT TO STAY OVER THERE. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO ABOUT THIS
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

You are going to have to go to court.

In this case you would have "standing" since you have had the child in your possession for so long. You could likely get orders pretty quickly and you may even be able get emergency orders since the child is that age and is upset. You will, of course, need an attorney but the chances of you being successful are very high.

A child is never able to "choose" where they want to live or who they want to live with but in OK at age 12 they can let the judge know their choice as to where they want to live. While it isn't mandatory that the judge follow what the child chooses it is likely that they would in circumstances like yours.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks a lot
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 months ago.

You're very welcome.