Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.

My ex succeeded in taking me kids to live in California; a

Customer Question

My ex succeeded in taking me kids to live in California; a key part of the case was that she could support herself and the kids. In teh subsequent UK divorce she insisted on NO chid support; I recited to make voluntary child support in line with CSA guidelines; she recited that she woud not apply for child support; I continued to pay voluntary payments until she closed the bank account and refused to give me another. She got to CA and pursued me for child support. DCSS in CA is now after me for $35k in arrears, but have said that they could submit the case back to the UK court ... what would you advise that I do and what is the likely outcome?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 months ago.

This is Samuel. I suggest that California, like most of the United States are very stern when it comes to child support. Are you in the UK?

Because if you are still in the UK, it would more convenient for you to have jurisdiction retained. As to California child support, you could show the UK stipulations and argue that you have paid until you could no longer make those transfers, but again, CA is going to be very stern on the amount of support your children deserve.

Additionally, three of the most common and most important factors when calculating the California child support amount are:

1. The number of children who are entitled to support.

2. The amount of parenting time each parent has with the children.

3. Each parent’s net disposable income.

You also can try to get the parent to waive her back child support claim and just move forward.

If you keep this in the UK, of course, it would be more convenient and a UK court is more likely to uphold their own agreement/orders.

I am not familiar with UK child support laws and so I suggest you could post any questions you have about how child support is calculated in the the UK in the UK Family Law category on this website. But if you have other questions concerning CA child support, I can continue with you here.

If I've missed anything that you needed or you have other questions, please let me know here. Otherwise, a Positive rating ensures I get credit for my time.