P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

Okay Mr., I have joined the sight and may continue with it

Customer Question

Okay Mr. Simmons, I have joined the sight and may continue with it as I need some legal questions answered. Are you able to answer legal questions for Utah also??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Hey, happy to help. How can I assist?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi, this is a question about unemployment. My brother was laid off of University of Phoenix in July 2015. He got a job with ADT (they sell security systems, etc) Well, that job did not pan out at all for him. So in November of 2015 he was told he could still get unemployment, so he began to do the paperwork on his Mac computer to get all the forms filled out etc. Apparently the unemployment system is not compatible with Mac, so he went over to my father's home to use his PC. He couldn't figure it all out and by this time, he was feeling very down & depressed. 39 years old, NO job & a divorce in the horizon. So, he started washing windows, doing odd jobs, but he can not make ends meet. He took a job 3 weeks ago at Papa John's to deliver Pizza, however, he only makes $150.00 a week, his car is dying....QUESTION IS THIS: Is he able to still apply (if he can figure it out) for Unemployment and get those benefits? He drove into Phoenix today to Workforce services and they said they couldn't help him and he had to do everything on the computer. What can he do to get this taken care of? AND/OR is it possible for him to still get the $250.00 a week he thought he was going to be able to get. Thanks, Linda

Thanks Linda. I have to step away for a couple hours...when I return happy to address.

Was your brother working in AZ at the time (for Univ of Phoenix)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He was let go July 2015, yes, then took the job with the security company which consisted of a lot of training...just no money to be made. He has not gotten on his feet yet. He's afraid if he quits the pizza place it will show he doesn't want to work, but he has been applying for jobs for over a year now. Thanks

Thank you
I fear he has waited too long.
Arizona law for computation of benefits for unemployment compensation uses a formula that defines a "base period" (as the previous 4 quarters starting from the time the applicant files).

What you are describing? He was fired over a year ago...he will not have eligibility for that job

I am truly sorry to have to bear bad news.

He can file...but honestly, at this point it would not likely be worth the effort.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can.