Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am being taken to small claims court tomorrow by an

Customer Question

I am being taken to small claims court tomorrow by an attorney who poorly represented me in my divorce case. He cursed at me, did not return phone calls, and did what he wanted to do on my case. I ended up having to provide more discovery despite the opposing counsel's failure to provide discovery by court ordered deadlines.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My phone number is(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You have a right to dispute the charges and to claim that the lawyer did not do the work he claims, etc. But, your best option may be to file a bar complaint against the lawyer for failing to properly represent you in the case and seek assistance from the bar association to resolve this issue. Also, a bar complaint could make the lawyer back off.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The court date is tomorrow. Would filing this complaint have an impact?
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

It likely would not before court tomorrow.....unless you tell the lawyer that you're planning to file a bar complaint unless he works something out with you. Of course, in order to have a legitimate bar complaint, you'll need to tell the bar assn. that the lawyer neglected your case, didn't keep you informed, charged you for work he didn't do, etc.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Also, if a judgment is rendered against you, it could help you settle/resolve the judgment after the fact.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What types of documentation would be helpful for court tomorrow.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How can I try to prevent a judgement.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.
The only way to prevent a judgment is to convince the judge that the money claimed by the plaintiff is not supported by the facts and proof.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.
To support this, you could produce bills and documents prepared --- and note the absence of any work that has been billed but not actually done.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you need anything further. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!