Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

Military divorce, what is a no fault divorce mean

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

No fault divorce means that it's not relevant whether either spouse did something wrong that caused the marriage to end. Marital assets will be divided without regard for why the marriage didn't work out. If the spouses aren't able to settle the case and go to trial, the trial will only be about how to divide the assets, not over who caused a break-up. This is done largely for judicial economy - no-fault divorce trials are much faster than fault-based ones. But it also tends to be easier on the parties not to rehash the entire marriage in court, especially if there are children are involved.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.