FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I run a daycare. I parent says thier child say I hit them

Customer Question

I run a daycare. I parent says thier child say I hit them but I didnt and now they turned me in with out talking to me. What do I do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon. Do you have any cameras in the facility? How old is the child? Was there any marks on the child?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no camera. the child was 3. the 6 year old said it did not happen. and no marks

Thank you. Seeing how the child is 3 years old and there were/are no signs of abuse, there really would be no basis to charge you, as it would be hard for law enforcement or child services, to have any credible evidence of abuse. If a report is filed, the State and the Case Worker has a legal obligation and duty to investigate this, to make sure there was no abuse or wrong doing. As such, you can speak with them and cooperate but if they only have the word of a 3 year old and there is no evidence, this may be a case that is closed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The six year old then said I do smack them on butt. But They never got the full story thats its a game. I tap them and then chase them and they say do it again. It is all blow way out. So when The child was asked if I had ever hit them they were telling truth but not in a way to hurt them. Does that mean I get in trouble?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He just said I did not punish the child in the way the 3 year old said

There is a difference between playing a game and abuse. Tapping them on the butt is not abuse but the case worker may find that the touching is not appropriate and could ask that you cease doing that or having any unnecessary physical contact with the children.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
should I retain a lawyer. I mean this is my job. My business at stake?

Yes, it is always in your best interest to retain legal counsel. They can be present with you and decide if you should cooperate and make a statement and be there, in the event that the investigation goes outside its intended purpose.

Were there any other witnesses present?

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.