Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I filed a name change for my son to have my last name

Customer Question

Hi I filed a name change for my son to have my last name however the father has objected and is incarcerated.. His name is ***** ***** the birth certificate either.. Will I win my case?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I dont believe so
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Has paternity been established by a DNA test....or is paternity in question?

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

If you were not married, then the father has no legal relationship with the child. However, a legal relationship can be formed through the father’s signing of an Acknowledgement of Paternity form. Signing this form allows a father to add his name to the child’s birth certificate, thereby establishing a legal relationship.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

However, if the child bears the father's last name and the father objects, you may have to attempt to terminate the parental rights of the father in order to change the last name.