LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

I am the U.S. citizen victim of an Immigration Marriage

Customer Question

I am the U.S. citizen victim of an Immigration Marriage Fraud scam. He said he loved me, I married him and then he acted like I was supposed to pay for everything and do all the work to make him legal. I got an annulment for Fraud and then he convinced me he didn't have that intention and that if I took him back, he had money to help pay the debt, after working in New York, He was fine for a while and then got arrogant and expected not to have to look for work and demanded that I buy him a new car, obviously before he did anything toward the debt. I never legally became his Sponsor but I have spent over $15,000 on this and I wish to have some of it compensated for. Second marriage will be over in September and I did not seek spousal compensation in either case.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, just worked with a paralegal and did the Court papers myself
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes, he is 17 years younger than me, from Greece, though we look about the same age. When I asked him to leave he said he was a gigolo and thought my money was his.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What is your question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I sue for financial compensation for expenses i paid for someone who married me, twice, to get legal status. He is 17 years younger than me and when I confronted him with this and the fact that he was breaking his promise to help pay for the debt, he likes to say he was a gigolo and owes me nothing. He's living and working in New York, trying to hide, but I know where he works. He was verbally abusive, probably bi-polar narcissistic, and thinks everyone owes him bigtime. But $15,000 is a lot to have spent and still be in debt for and the stress of it all has damaged my health.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am here.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

You asked: Can I sue for financial compensation for expenses i paid for someone who married me, twice, to get legal status

No you cannot sue for that. I am sorry, but money you spent on his prior to marriage or during marriage ia not a loan and he does not have to repay you.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,