How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31593
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a petition to modify parent-child relationship. I

Customer Question

hi there. i received a petition to modify parent-child relationship. I do have an attorney, but I'm hoping to just respond on my own.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: TX
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no, i just need to decline this offer. It was not served to me and there is no hearing scheduled.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

What is the requested modification?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he is requesting a modification for child support, insurance amount and requesting extended summer visitation. The decree was finalized in January 2016.
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Ok. Thanks.

You can respond to this on your own without the assistance of an attorney.....all you must do is respond to each paragraph with an admission or denial and then file your original with the court and serve a copy to your ex or your ex's lawyer (if one).

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Also, you don't have to be personally served --- all you must receive is the document via mail (once you are initially served for the divorce, no further service is necessary).

Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

Also, a court date will likely be issued after you file a response to the motion/petition.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can i respond on the original form that they gave me, or do i need to file a separate one?
Expert:  Roger replied 9 months ago.

No, you would need a separate form. The court likely has a response form you can use. You can ask the court clerk about available forms.

Related Family Law Questions