Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I received a petition to modify parent-child relationship. I

Customer Question

hi there. i received a petition to modify parent-child relationship. I do have an attorney, but I'm hoping to just respond on my own.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: TX
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no, i just need to decline this offer. It was not served to me and there is no hearing scheduled.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

What is the requested modification?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he is requesting a modification for child support, insurance amount and requesting extended summer visitation. The decree was finalized in January 2016.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Ok. Thanks.

You can respond to this on your own without the assistance of an attorney.....all you must do is respond to each paragraph with an admission or denial and then file your original with the court and serve a copy to your ex or your ex's lawyer (if one).

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Also, you don't have to be personally served --- all you must receive is the document via mail (once you are initially served for the divorce, no further service is necessary).

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Also, a court date will likely be issued after you file a response to the motion/petition.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can i respond on the original form that they gave me, or do i need to file a separate one?
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

No, you would need a separate form. The court likely has a response form you can use. You can ask the court clerk about available forms.