Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My husband and I have been married for 38 years. We have

Customer Question

My husband and I have been married for 38 years. We have some issues that can't seems to be resolved. I have worked most of my life, every since I was 18. My husband got hurt on the job 3 years ago, and got a settlement. That's all gone now. He hasn't worked since then. He pastor's a small church, and gets between $600 and $1000 a month from that. He won't try to get disability, partial retirement, or get a part-time job. I've several times to tally him about this, but he won't listen. I'm concerned because I'm the one paying the bills, and I'm the only one working. We own a small 2 bedroom home, and have a mortgage on a 3 bedroom home. I am feeling very frustrated, and not getting anywhere. There are other issues too. I feel that I want out, but how??? Am I going to have to keep paying all of the bills if I get a divorce???
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

What is your current income and what age are you and your husband?

Does either house have equity?

Do you have any other debts / assets?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not counting what my husband gets from the church, I relive approximately 22,000.00 a year from work. My husband is old enough to draw partial disability. He is 62. I'm 59; soon tone 60 in September. I feel trapped because I probably won't be able to quit or slow down when I turn sixty. Other than the mortgage on our house, we have a contract with AT&T for our iPhones, and credit cards--- which I've been using sometimes to help with bills.

Thank you for your follow up.

Will you be able to sell one of the houses?

I mean once divorce is filed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Other than the small 2 bedroom home that is paid off, we also own a camper-trailer, about 10 years old, and 4 vehicles. I don't know if my husband would be will I get to sell anything. He won't listen to me.

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you have any minor children?