Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I got child support notice and want to know what it means

Customer Question

I got a child support notice today and it is basically saying, "ORDERED<the defendant motion to modify child support on April 7, 2014 be hereby dismissed without prejudice for lack of prosecution: and it is further, Ordered this case be and hereby closed for statistical purposes only." What does this actually mean?
This is in Maryland
I have not talked to a lawyer yet.
The last hearing I went to I was told that I had to pay $332 a month instead of the $900 a month that I was previously ordered to pay because the child was a minor. Now that she was of age the hearing officer said that the mother was supposed to pay half of the support order because the child neither lives with me or the mother.. she stays with the foster mother.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question.
That means that the motion to modify the support that was filed was denied. So whatever you were ordered to pay, you have to continue paying and they closed the case only to get it off their books and if you want to go back to file a new motion to modify if and when any of your circumstances change, you are able to do so and they will reopen the case. So whatever the last amount you were ordered to pay was, you have to continue paying that amount.