RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

My ex wife was suppose to stay within 90 miles of my work

Customer Question

My ex wife was suppose to stay within 90 miles of my work place until my daughter turns 19 under our divorce decree, which is when my child support payments end. My ex-wife has moved to California with her boyfriend but my daughter is living with me full time now in Texas. She is 18. Her Mom is a Nurse and is traveling back and forth from California to Texas as a traveling nurse until she gets her California RN license. She has mail being forwarded to my place from her previous address in Texas. Question: Do I have to continue to pay her child support any longer under these conditions since I am now 100% supporting my daughter. She says to me that it doesn't matter that she moved out of state but because she is a traveling nurse and is still working in Texas, that she still should get the child support and I do not agree. Just doesnt make since. ! Thank you for your assistance. AL Rodriguez
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You are court ordered to pay here but you may choose to take your chances since the child is living with you.The proper way would be to motion to modify here where the support orders were entered.But realistically it will be tough for the wife to enforce the orders here if child resides with you.But you have to decide if you want to assume the risk here by not paying.Legally you have court orders until in modified.

I appreciate the chance to help you today and wish you the best here.

You would modify them in Texas in the same court where ordered.

If you can rate it is much appreciated.