How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28413
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For passport purposes, they will not accept certificate of

Customer Question

For passport purposes, they will not accept certificate of church as proof of marriage. What can I do?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. Must I get lawyer?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

California law requires a marriage certificate issued by the state before a person can claim the legal benefits of marriage. If you had that completed and mailed in when you got married, you can get a copy from the state. This site has all the information you need, including applications and fees for ordering the copy.

A couple that chose only a religious certificate at the time of marriage can make the union legal by visiting the local courthouse, getting a marriage license, and having the justice of peace perform the ceremony. There's a three day waiting period between getting the license and when you can marry, so keep that in mind when planning.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions