Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

Have a court date to change custody on 8-15-16 and if she

Customer Question

have a court date to change custody on 8-15-16 and if she doesn't show up what happens? And what will the judge want from me.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If she's the one requesting the change and she doesn't show, the judge will probably deny the request and rule in your favor. A person who doesn't appear in court forfeits their right to state their case. But if you're the one who wants the change, you should be prepared to present your evidence, just in case. That means testifying as to why the change is in the best interests of the child, but also providing any supplemental evidence you have. The exact evidence the judge will want to see depends on why you're asking for the change. For example, if it was based on improper behavior by the mother, then things like photographs, texts, social media posts, and testimony from third party witnesses will help. If it's about helping your relationship with your child grow, then you'd talk more about the time you've spent together and how it benefits the child.

Do you have any other questions about this?