Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Wow - wasn't expecting a chat!! I was wrongfully terminated

Customer Question

Hi, Wow - wasn't expecting a chat!! I was wrongfully terminated 20 months ago and while I have a lot of derogatory info on the ex employer, I have chosen to take the high road move on and I am starting my own business. In the interim, the other employee that was still there is actually the person that lied and was the cause of my termination is now being sued by my ex employer for theft of intellectual property and a lot of other cyber crimes. I was suddenly contacted by my ex employer's attorney today who advised that this employee has filed derogatoriness that has some implications involving me rewarding her crimes. She wants to know if I would be willing to have a chat with her informally? I would like to know if this is wise and what types of questions I should be asking?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sorry - Cali
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, its a civil matter between them and I really do not want to get dragged into it. It is not the direction I would like to go but it has sparked my curiousity
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I am preparing my response to your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

You should NEVER agree to meet with the ex-employer's Attorney without an Attorney present.

It is hard to tell you what kinds of questions to ask because the questions that you would ask depend on the conversation between you and the Attorney. That is, the issues brought up by the Attorney would elicit questions from you.

Again, you should not agree to meet without an Attorney present.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Phillips. Sorry, I don't think that the information I was trying to address has been answered. Perhaps this was not communicated well but I specifically advised that I have taken the high road for 20 months and I am looking to NOT be drawn into this legal mess between them. I also indicated that I wanted some limited input if there was anything specific I should ask about the alleged "implications" which indicated that I already intended to speak to the attorney so I do to really want to pay $59 to be told NOT to speak to her. I agree to the initial $5. as the maximum amount to be billed for this session. Thank you so much for your time but I will be taking a different direction. Have a good evening.

You do not have to pay if you are not satisfied with the answer provided. However, I have not been paid for responding to your post. I can only get credit if you give a positive rating to my response.

Best wishes,