Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My husband has been out of work for over a year, he was on

Customer Question

my husband has been out of work for over a year, he was on disability for 6 months cleared to work and he has not attempted to look for work, his reason is that he does not want to be a doorman, I have asked him several times to find a job but he refuses. We share a company that is like amway so we are making money at the moment and at the divorce he will either get the company if I get the company I would agree to pay him half of the earning for a period of 6 to 10 years. I was earning around 180K annual and he was earning around 60K when he was working. Would he be entitled to maintenance?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
potential in our business we can ear up to 189K per store.. we have 3 but are working to develop 1 store at this time
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
earn
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I am preparing my response to your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Depending on the value of the company, the Court may order you to pay spousal maintenance to him. The Court would award spousal support/alimony after a review of various factors. The amount to be awarded would be based on the evidence presented to the Court. Some of the factors the Court would review before making a decision are the following:

• The income and property of the parties;
  • The duration of the marriage;
  • The age and health of both parties;
  • The present and future earning capacity of both parties;
  • The ability of the party seeking maintenance to become self-supporting. See New York Domestic Relations Laws, Article 13 Section: 236

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.