Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have been paying court ordered child support for 12 years.

Customer Question

I have been paying court ordered child support for 12 years. The case is originally in New York. I live in Alabama and the support payments are paid to Alabama and supposedly go to NY. I recently received a refund check from the county in NY where the case originated. I want to know if this is a mistake. Can I cash the check? Does it mean I have paid all the money I owe? I have called NY support hotline. They say they have no record of the case. The county support collection unit has no phone number to reach them. Alabama collection hotline is automated (with no real person connection). It says I owe nothing but that I am $7000 in arrears. How can I find out the real status of this case? Can Alabama charge interest on a New York case? Support was ordered in NY but the monthly amount was ordered by Alabama. When will I be done with this fiasco?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I am preparing my response to your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I have been paying court ordered child support for 12 years. The case is originally in New York. I live in Alabama and the support payments are paid to Alabama and supposedly go to NY. I recently received a refund check from the county in NY where the case originated. I want to know if this is a mistake.

Response 1: It is possible a mistake was made in issuing the check. So, you should hang on to it and not cash it until you know exactly what is going on.

Can I cash the check?

Response 2: No, you should not until you find out exactly what is going on.

Does it mean I have paid all the money I owe?

Response 3: I do not know for certain.

I have called NY support hotline. They say they have no record of the case. The county support collection unit has no phone number to reach them.

Response 4: You need to send a certified letter to the County Support collection that sent you the check and ask whether your payments are now complete and your case closed and if that means that you can cash the check that they sent to you.

Alabama collection hotline is automated (with no real person connection). It says I owe nothing but that I am $7000 in arrears. How can I find out the real status of this case?

Response 5: Send a certified mail to Alabama child support collection. You cannot owe nothing, if you also have $7,000.00 in arrears. Also, most of the child support collections are online. You can sign up online and check on the status of your payments.

Can Alabama charge interest on a New York case?

Response 6: Yes.

Support was ordered in NY but the monthly amount was ordered by Alabama. When will I be done with this fiasco?

Response 7: I wish I can tell you, but I cannot because I do not know what has transpired in your case. You need to send the letters to both NY and Alabama collections and let them respond to you. You should also register online with both collection departments to check the status of your payments. You may also file Motion with the Court in Alabama as to the status of your case. You can obtain Motion forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Goodluck with your case,

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Responses 1 and 2 were wrong. Cashing the check was the correct answer. Just don't spend the money until everything was clear from the agencies. Keep it in an account until then.
Response 3 was accurate.
Responses 4 and 5 were unnecessary actions.
Response 6 was wrong.
Response 7 was basically a summary of the previous answers.
Thanks, ***** ***** didn't help. I accomplished everything I needed to without your input and got answers to my questions much more quickly and accurately.