Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

A judge is issuing a ruling on a motion the court date was

Customer Question

A judge is issuing a ruling on a motionthe court date was july 14 is there a law in regards ***** ***** judge must rule like 30 days or so or is it as long as they would like
this is a divorce case ruling for attoney fees in illinois
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I see this kind of question often. No, there is no law when the Court should make a ruling. Ergo, the Court has discretion. However if it takes an extraordinary long time (6 months or more), one can file a Writ of Mandamus with the higher court to force the trial court to make a ruling.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!