Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I got divorce and my husband passed away. In the Mediation

Customer Question

I got divorce and my husband passed away. In the Mediation he obtained an apartment in miami-dade and I had a house in Puerto Rico. The apartment in Miami is only in my name. Now 3 of our children (48, 45,43 ages) want the apartment for them. I asked a lawyer about this and told me I am the owner.But they went to my ex-husband lawyer and the lawyer put a motion in court. Can you please tell me something about this? I am 73 yeras old.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, eventhough the apartment is in your name only, that apartment no longer belongs to you by virtue of your agreement in the divorce case. The apartment belongs to your ex-husband and now that he has passed, belongs to people named in your ex-husband's Will to get the property. If there is no Will, the property will belong to his surviving children.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.