How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 17513
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got divorce and my husband passed away. In the Mediation

Customer Question

I got divorce and my husband passed away. In the Mediation he obtained an apartment in miami-dade and I had a house in Puerto Rico. The apartment in Miami is only in my name. Now 3 of our children (48, 45,43 ages) want the apartment for them. I asked a lawyer about this and told me I am the owner.But they went to my ex-husband lawyer and the lawyer put a motion in court. Can you please tell me something about this? I am 73 yeras old.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, eventhough the apartment is in your name only, that apartment no longer belongs to you by virtue of your agreement in the divorce case. The apartment belongs to your ex-husband and now that he has passed, belongs to people named in your ex-husband's Will to get the property. If there is no Will, the property will belong to his surviving children.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Related Family Law Questions