RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I am planning to purchase a home in USA. I have a question

Customer Question

My name is***** am planning to purchase a home in USA. I have a question like in future if I want to sell my home which is having my ownership only, is my wife can stop me to sell the home if we are seperated or planning for divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

If the house is in your name only, you don't need her consent to sell it. However, if the property was acquired during the marriage, she could file a motion with the court to seek an Order preventing sale while the divorce is pending (for example, she could seek temporary possession of the home to live in it while the divorce is ongoing). If there are any minor children living in the home, the court would be even less likely to allow the sale while a divorce is pending.

Also, remember that if you purchase a home during the marriage, even if it is only in your name, she would still be entitled to a portion of the value in event of divorce.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!