Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

In the state of my ex and myself are divorced. In the

Customer Question

In the state of Virginia my ex and myself are divorced. In the divorce decree it states that because I am in the military that when it comes to for visits, she will meet me half way so I can pick up the kids. The last time this happened we ran into a lot of traffic and few accidents. I was a few hours late picking my kids up. Now she is telling me that I now have to drive from Georgia to Virginia and that she will not meet me half way no more. Also she said she is going to do a modification to state time frames for pick up. My question is can she tell me I have to drive all the way to Virginia to drop the kids off?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

1) Until/unless the court approves her modification, she does not have the right to modify the meeting spot half way.

2) If she refuses to follow the court decree as it IS NOW, then you can threaten her with contempt, which is how parties enforce divorce decrees. Contempt carries with it admonishment, fines, and imprisonment if the party is found in contempt.

3) Ergo, someone in your situation may wish to threaten her with contempt for not following orders if she plans to do this.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!