Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

My Ex moved from California to Texas without my permission.

Customer Question

My Ex moved from California to Texas without my permission. I went to court in California and got a sole custody of my daughter. I’m in Texas now to pick my daughter up and the mother will not release her to me. I called the police and they were unable to help me and refused to enforce the court order from California. I flew all the way from California to Texas and before I leave tomorrow I wanted to get some advice
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. . I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Why did the Police refuse to enforce the Order?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Because they said they don't get involved in civil cases.. And that we could have forged those documents

Thank you for the information.

That is really not a valid excuse. If the parent has child that she should not have, the Police ought to help you in enforcing the Order. However and more importantly, you need to register/domesticate the Order at the Courthouse in Texas where she is residing before the authorities in Texas can enforce the Order from California. The Court would summonse her to Court with the child and help you get the child from her. Pursuant to Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act, the State of Texas must recognize the Custody Order from California after it has been properly registered/domesticated in Texas. You can obtain the domestication forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is this something that can be done in person and in a day or is it a process

This can be done in person, but depending on the Court schedule may not be done in one day.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have to go before a judge

Yes, you have to go in front of the Judge. The Clerk's office would assist you in getting in front of the Judge due to the emergency situation.