Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Child lives with father. Mother pay child support. Fzther

Customer Question

Child lives with father. Mother pay child support. Fzther has girlfriend move in and share expensive and income. Plan to marry. Can that be growns to lower my child support. Plus I only see my child everyother weekend.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The girlfriend's income won't be considered when determining the amount of child support due from the paying parent because the girlfriend has no legal obligation to the child. Even if they do get married, the step-parent generally is not liable for supporting the child, so it doesn't affect the child support amount.

However, it is possible to seek a modification of custody because of the remarriage if you can show that the remarriage is not in the child's best interest or if there's proof that the child living with this new step-parent will case emotional distress for the child.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

If you could obtain a modification of custody, the father should be required to pay you child support.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 months ago.

Hi - I was checking in to see if you need anything further. If so, please let me know. If not, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!