Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

Child support arrears. The mother has custody of the child

Customer Question

Child support arrears. The mother has custody of the child and there is approx $25,000 in arrears. They never got divorced and the mother is requesting a divorce now. She wants to marry her long time boyfriend who will be adopting the child. She is willing to make a settlement if my son gives up paternal rights to the child. He is willing to do so if his child support obligation is released. He has no relationship with the child.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: He is currently paying court ordered child support and arrears
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, delinquent child support cannot be forgiven or waived by the custodial parent, as it is intended for the benefit of the minor child and not the custodial parent, however, if the non-custodial parent gives up his parental rights and another man legally adopts a minor child, then as soon as legal adoption takes place, the biological father will be released from any future child support obligation.

I wish you the best of luck!