Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am currently trying to gain custody of my grandchild who

Customer Question

I am currently trying to gain custody of my grandchild who has been temporarily placed with my brother (great uncle) and his girlfriend. However, I was just made aware that my son (father of grandchild) may have signed over his rights unknowingly when CPS stopped by his home and advised the paperwork presented was giving the uncle and girlfriend the right to sign the child up for school. I need help with getting my grandchild back. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You would need to file papers with the Court for custody of the child. The custody case will be filed at the Courthouse in the County where the child is currently residing. You can download forms and instructions by clicking here. Before you file for custody however, you need to make sure that you have meant the requirements for asking for custody namely:

(1) the child must have lived with you for six months or:

(2) the child must have lived with you for six months but moved to your brother's house within the past 90 days. For more information, click here.

Goodluck with your case,

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.