originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.

My husband an i got custody of my two younger sisters when

Customer Question

my husband an i got custody of my two younger sisters when they where 11 and 12 they are now grown and not talking to me at this time i've taken care of them after my parents died and i was a young girl myself but i wanted to know if i had any rights to be able to see the kids that there keeping from me because there not talking to us
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer! I am working on answering your question. Please stand by!

I'm really sorry to hear about this! Unfortunately, you do not have any automatic legal rights to see your nieces and/or nephews. It's also not likely that were you to sue for visitation rights, that a Judge would grant them to you. Most states give grandparents the ability to sue for visitation, but do not afford aunts and uncles the same ability. If the children were in need of a parent, or guardian, it might be possible to obtain non-parent custody, but if the legal parents are involved, it's not likely. The law recognizes that parents have the right to determine who their children have relationships with, so in most cases, the courts will not force parents to let their children see other family members, even in cases like your situation.