Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

My sister recent died. She gave a child up for adoption in

Customer Question

My sister recent died. She gave a child up for adoption in 1969 and he does not know about it. Does he have a right to know?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

While she might not be his legal parent, she was still his biological parent so there is nothing that would prevent someone from notifying him if they wanted to do so. But he wouldn't have some type of statutory "right" to that information. It is public knowledge when someone passes so he is as entitled to it as anyone else...

But if she wasn't involved in his life and he had no knowledge of her, then I don't see how informing him now would do anything but cause conflict..