LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney

Can a postnuptial agreement protect my assets against

Customer Question

Can a postnuptial agreement protect my assets against lawsuits during marriage?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, the postnuptial is only effective between the spouses; it does not bind third parties; so a creditor can sue, but then the spouse can seek reimbursement from the spouse that caused the lawsuit.

Only parties to a contract are bound by that contract; so creditors would not be limited in its collection efforts based on a pre or post nuptial contract.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not moving forward. Do not need you. Please CANCEL all charges. Have been trying to do this by phone unsuccessfully.
Thank you, Claire ******

You are welcome; if you have been satisfied with the above kindly rate positively; meanwhile I will send this to the moderators.