Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I have had my landlord giving me the business here lately.

Customer Question

I have had my landlord giving me the business here lately. They told me last week that I owed them $132.00 when we haven't been to court. Now I just paid for my rent last Monday and the have sent me an eviction notice on Wednesday?? 2 days, come on this is harassment. There are other things they have done too but I'm more concerned about this. Thanks, Mike
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question...can you please explain what has happened?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well they are trying to charge me money when we never went to court, plus the lady that is suppose to be working here will not show up when our rent is due and then sends me an eviction notice 2 two days after I drop it in there drop box. What the hell????
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello...different expert here. My name is ***** ***** your original expert was called away so I am stepping in to assist..

.

You are kind of starting your story in the middle... the landlord is trying to charge you for something and you haven't been to court... That is not a lot of information to go on..

.

If you can give me some more of the back story, I can help. Like what is the money for? What is this about court? Were you behind on your rent and the landlord filed to evict?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry, well they had told me that this was for the rent that was late , and see this is what I'm saying, I was not late and then they try and tell me that I also have to pay the lawyer fee of $132.00 , ok we never went to court I was not late and now this month they are trying to evict me on the second day of the month and plus charge me late fees, are you kidding???? I hope this helps. Thanks

No worries, it sounds like they applied any rent payment first to the fees they are trying to charge you for and that leaves you short on the "rent" so they are giving you a notice.

.

So if you dispute you were late due to them not checking their drop box, then you are going to have to go to court and tell your story to the judge that you aren't late and they improperly charged you late fees. If they don't check their drop box when rent is due, that is their negligence in doing so because your rent was sitting in there.

.

But for future reference, I would take a date stamped photo of you putting it in the drop-box with your phone so you have proof of when it was dropped off.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks