LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney

Had my house for 5 years. got married last year to girl I

Customer Question

Had my house for 5 years . got married last year to girl I had just met. She didn't work til the last few months . She never paid anything for the house. If we he divorced is she entitled to half my house
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear there are marital problems; was title ever put in her name? or was the property every refinanced?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did a streamline in January never put her on title thou . Added my dad and my mom

Thank you; so here is the relevant statute:

Essentially property acquired prior to marriage is one's separate property.

For long term marriages, if a loan is taken out and marital property is used to pay down the loan, both parties could receive credit for payments made during the marriage; but for short term marriages the court will typically just confirm the property to be nonmarital.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Streamline is a refi without docs to reduce a rate. Closing never put her on title. Cz I added my parents to title.

I'm not set up for telephone calls at the moment if you would like to continue on this page; were you able to view my response?

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!