Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My husband and I work for the state department and will

Customer Question

My husband and I work for the state department and will currently be moving to Portugal for 3 years. We would like to bring our nephew of 7 years along with us (with parental approval and blessing) for the duration of our tour due to the childs problematic behavioral issues. The child and mother (primary custody) currently live in Florida while the child's father resides in Texas. We are scheduled to arrive in Portugal mid december, so we were hoping to have the child start the school year with us post christmas break. We are unsure of what is needed legally to be done so any advice regarding forms, court hearing petitions etc would be much appreciated.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Since the child is a resident of FL, you would need a court order of temporary guardianship from the FL court. The primary custodian would be able to file in the FL court together with you a petition for temporary guardianship and the court will grant you orders of guardianship. Those would be the documents you need to travel with the child and also act on the child's behalf in another country. If you will be in Portugal, you would need to get those orders translated to Portugese and stamped certified by the clerk of court in FL so you have a copy that can be understood in Portugal in the event they are required.