P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

My father who I believe lives in Chicago left my sister and

Customer Question

My father who I believe lives in Chicago left my sister and I over 65 yrs ago and divorced my mom. He never pai alimony or child support. I believe he remarried and his spouse and child are now both deceased. He is 91. I'm nit sure if he is still alive or not. When he does pass are my sister and I entitled to any assets that he has and how would we know when he passes and how to claim our rights to whatever he has?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

This depends...IF he has no will? Then by law you would be entitled to a portion of his estate.

But if he has a will? Then the terms of the will dictates "who gets what".

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding
Phil