Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

My wife left the home after my son was shot and paralyzed

Customer Question

My wife left the home after my son was shot and paralyzed left me with our daughter and her daughter fir the first month until she went to her granmothers house fir summer said she wasnt paying child support because my daughter said she want to stay with me or helping me with any bills shes been gone 3 months now and im barely making it and shes still not contributed nothing.. I have proof of infidelity.. It wasnt bad with both of our incomes but its a struggle by myself because i cant work like i use to.. And i finally told her tonight that im barely making it and she told me to do whatever i got to do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What state do you live in? Are you planning or willing to file for divorce?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but i was wanting to know if theres anything i could to as far as getting help paying the bills because my salary is nothing compared to hers by her being a rn and im in no shape able to pay for a move

Every state has different laws on this. Where do you live?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. I'm going to opt out and let you talk to someone who is more familiar with North Carolina's laws in this area. Please do not reply, as that can cause delays. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

North Carolina follows a rule called the Doctrine of Necessaries, where a wife can be held responsible for the costs of her husband’s “necessaries.” They include items that are required for one’s health and well-being, such as medical care, food, clothing, transportation, and shelter. So, you can sue your wife and obtain an order of support for these items; which order can be backed by the threat of jail time or fines.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there anything i can do about her putting my son out the house? Because he was shot on a school night at midnight and if he was home his bedtime was 9:30 Hes been with us since the age of 3
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

You may be able to claim abuse and neglect to challenge her parental rights.