Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I am divorced in Riverside County Cal. and got a house from

Customer Question

I am divorced in Riverside County Cal. and got a house from the divorce in San Bernardino Cal. I have since paid off the house and want to remove his name. I know that I can get a quickclaim and I also know that the house will not be re appraised for taxes because it is part of a divorce. My question is how does San Bernardino know that they don't need to re assess for taxes because it is through a divorce. There is no box to check on the form. How do they know it is the result of a divorce.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
They know that it is not reassessed because it is still considered a family transfer, ex spouse to ex spouse and you only need to present proof of the divorce. Even though there is no box to check on the form it is a family transfer and that is what you can call it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I understand that. What I don't understand is HOW do they know it is a family transfer. HOW DO THEY KNOW? Is there another form? Nothing on the quick claim asks if it's a family transfer.
Thank you for your reply.
They will see it from the divorce documents, which will be submitted when you submit the quit claim and exemption form which you will get from the recorder's office to get no reassessment on the tax.