Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

Documents were served to the wrong address for my child

Customer Question

Documents were served to the wrong address for my child support while they had been sending documents to the right address be before and now they want me to pay for the arrears. What can I do since they made the mistake?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I did and he told me there is nothing I can do
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That's it
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You can go to court and file a motion to be relieved from the interest based on them serving the wrong location and the court can relieve you of any interest, but you would still be liable to pay for the arrears. So go to court and file the motion to waive interest on arrears and you provide proof they served the wrong address and you can get the court to remove any interest they are trying to charge on the payments due.