originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

My son is in fostercare for the past year. Do i need an

Customer Question

My son is in fostercare for the past year. Do i need an attorney to help get my custody back in the next few months?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 5 months ago.

I would recommend it. While you are entitled to represent yourself, in cases like this, it is often helpful to have someone on your side who has specialized knowledge in legal matters. While an attorney may seem like an unnecessary expense, remember, you are paying for their years of education and experience. As an attorney, we must not just complete law school and the Bar Exam, we must also keep up yearly education requirements to stay up to date in our particular fields. It's often worth the expense because an attorney can often make the process move more quickly and expediently. Judges also (while they are not supposed to) seem to prefer clients who have attorneys as opposed to people who represent themselves.