Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I have had a ex parte temporary full custody order of my son

Customer Question

I have had a ex parte temporary full custody order of my son since January 14th, 2015. His father and I had a trial date May 13th, 2015. His father's attorney had the case continued until further notice. Since then nothing has been said or done. It is now July 30th, 2016, one year and two and a half months since anything has been done. Since a year has passed and nothing has been said or done could my temporary custody order become permanent?
-Morgan Hall
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In MA the temporary order remains temporary until the court makes it permanent. Mere delay in the trial does not turn a temporary order into a permanent order, the court has to change it to a permanent order after trial. So the temporary order remains just that, temporary.