TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Alimony ordered by court until my sister turns 65. She has 8

Customer Question

Alimony ordered by court until my sister turns 65. She has 8 years left, but there was a clause that she couldn't make over 9 dollars an hour, and since December of 2015, she received a raise of 10 cents, and they stopped payment. Does she need to quit he job and, find one that pays less? Will it be reinstated if she does?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

It's certainly not automatic that the alimony would begin again. Before your sister quits the job, if I were her, I would file a motion in the court to have alimony modified. Perhaps she can keep the job and alimony would merely be reduced slightly due to the fact that she makes just a little more than $9 per hour. That would be ideal since it would be better for her to continue working and earning more money (i.e., that makes her Social Security benefits higher when she turns 65).

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.