Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a permanent protective order that covers me and my

Customer Question

Hi, I have a permanent protective order that covers me and my son against my ex boyfriend who is also my sons father. Our protective order was granted because of family abuse. We came to an agreement of a 12 month permanent protective order with giving his father 1 hour a week supervised visitation. My Nana was originally the supervisor and he lasted 2 visits before screwing it up by trying to manipulate her and lie to her and we were advised its best for her not to continue as the supervisor. I then found a counseling center that the visitation could be held at, but he was "not interested" in that because he did not want to pay the fee every week. His lawyer and him have not filed a petition for more visitation only 3 months after the order was granted. We have our hearing for that tomorrow, and what or how can I expect this outcome to be. His father and his family has severe anger issues and was the cause of this situation in the first place so it actually genuinely terrifies me of the thought of him being in a potentially unsupervised environment and causing more trauma to my son that had taken months to correct. Sorry for the long backstory, but my question is how is the best way to fight this and prevent this from being granted by the judge? Thanks in advance for your advice! So sorry to waste your time, didn't know there was a fee involved arms as a single mother, I don't have much to spare. Guess I will just see how it goes..
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the long backstory, but my question is how is the best way to fight this and prevent this from being granted by the judge?

Response: The best way to fight this is to show the Court that the conditions that convinced the Court to issue the 12-month permanent protective Order are still in place. That nothing has changed and thus the Court cannot jeopardize the emotional and mental health of the child by giving the father more visitation. The father should be getting less visitation and not more because he has not done anything to improve his anger issues. He and his family need to enroll in anger management program before being placed near the child again.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.