LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

IIf a dependent is drawing benefits from deceased parent &

Customer Question

IIf a dependent is drawing benefits from deceased parent & lives with his mother who is on disability, does she lose her disability? child is 16 and formerly lived with father until his death.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good morning Peggy,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

A person receiving disability benefits is qualified because they are disabled, and for no other reason. The fact that they have a child who is eligible for a child survivor benefit because of the death of the other parent will in no way interfere with the parent's disability entitlement.

In conclusion, your sister, who is receiving social security disability will not lose her benefits just because her son, who is receiving a child survivor benefit comes to live with her. Both your sister and her son will continue to receive their respective social security benefits.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good morning Peggy,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, and with the expectation that you would act similarly and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Hi Peggy,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug