Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

My parents kicked me out of the house, i am 16 and my

Customer Question

My parents kicked me out of the house, i am 16 and my friends mom wants to gain legal guardianship of me. I have just been looking at other similar situations and looking for ways to either become emancipated and then imediatedly adopted by them, or ways to get my parents to sign their rights over.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Utah
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have mental issues and lots of medical bills to be payed
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your first option is you can file a petition for emancipation and you would have to prove to the court that you are capable of living on your own and supporting yourself. Here is the site where you can get a petition for emancipation if you want to file that with the court:
As far as guardianship, your friend's would have to get court ordered guardianship, which she can get with or without your parents' consent. She still has to file the petition in the court for either guardianship or conservatorship (, because she will need a court order to deal with your affairs on your behalf.